Monday, March 2, 2009

The Best Toys

I've heard plenty of parents say that you don't need to buy toys for your kids. Now I know why.

The thing that attracts Caleb to the fancy jumperoo is the zip tie holding on the tag. I've thought about removing the tag, but then the jumper would be completely useless. Caleb will pass by the his rattle in favor of (clean) sour cream containers. He loves to play in our green bedroom because I let him play with several colored pieces of paper when he's in that room. He'll leave behind the numerous toys in our basement in favor of climbing the stairs. An oatmeal canister with a plastic link inside serves as roll toy, drum, and teether. An empty formula can makes an even louder drum--use at your own risk. A rubber ducky hidden inside a cardboard box provides at least a few minutes of fun and/or distraction. And when in doubt, just say "peekaboo" and Caleb will hide and peek.

This past week I discovered the board book section at the library so I at least have some variety. I love the board books we have, but I can recite them in the car when Caleb starts fussing. Let's just say that I am enjoying new material.

I also tried checking out a Baby Einstein video from the library. Any guesses on how long Caleb paid attention to it? If you're not sure of the answer, go see his 9-month picture.

No comments: