Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Caleb's Book Selection: For Real

The Current Favorites:

What's Up Duck? A book of opposites. by Tad Hills
Wonderful illustrations and great for fast-page-turning toddlers. I've also started to teach Caleb "loud" and "quiet" using this book.

Duck and Goose, How Are You Feeling? by Tad Hills
Again, great illustrations. Should I be concerned that Caleb smiles every time we get to the "scared" page? I have yet to see the first book in this series at the library, but when I do, I'll snatch it up.

Busy Monkeys
Nothing spectacular about this book in my mind, but it has interesting pictures, Caleb likes it, and it isn't annoying enough to hide.

Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
What can I say? Caleb has started jumping in his crib this week....

I Love You Through and Through
Caleb loves this book. While cute, the sing-song rhyme gets stuck in my head, so even though I checked it out of the library last time we went, it's hidden from Caleb right now. "I love your top side, your bottom side. I love your inside and outside..." Who needs the book when you can recite the whole thing?

Pajama Time by Sandra Boynton
One of the better Boynton books. Especially good when Luke reads it with his rapper voice.



And the old standards:
Goodnight Moon--Currently, Caleb especially loves the red balloon in this book.
Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?--A diaper bag favorite.
Moo, Ba, La La La--Unfortunately this book has fallen out of favor.
Dinosaurs (Usborne Touch and Feel)--Still lots of fun! The illustrations are detailed enough to deviate from the text and create your own stories. Definitely a bonus after thousands of readings.



Books I hide:
I Love You Through and Through
Hop on Pop

2 comments:

Nancy H. said...

One of our favorites is "A Sock is a Pocket for your Toes" (please forgive my incorrect capitalization, Mrs. Ryon!)...Elena was probably almost 2 when we found this so it might be a little ways off but we just LOVE it! You can check it when you're here (yay!).

http://www.amazon.com/Sock-Pocket-Your-Toes-Book/dp/0060295260/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251857873&sr=8-1

And, also, I have to plug this as much as I can: the best children's Bible I've come across by far.

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Storybook-Bible-Every-Whispers/dp/0310708257/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251857999&sr=8-1

Great illustrations, but most importantly, it helps the reader to see the overall redemptive message of the Bible in each story, even/especially in the Old Testament.

Deborah said...

I just put "A Sock is a Pocket..." on hold at the library. Yay for book ideas! I too have heard great things about the Jesus Storybook Bible, but I'm waiting until Caleb is a bit less...umm...rambunctious with books before we get a copy for ourselves. Thanks, Nancy!