Thursday, June 27, 2013

Laundry Party

201306 June 015

“Oooo!  Look how neat of a pile that is!” 

Those were the words I heard from my child as we finished up our “laundry party.”  It’s not really much of a party.  There aren’t any snacks, but we do turn on music and we do spend time together.  Anyway. 

Those were not the words I was thinking as I raised my eyebrow. 

Thankfully I didn’t say what I was thinking because the next thing I heard was:

“The biggest are on the bottom, and the smallest are on the top.”

Pause.

Yes.  By that standard it is a very neat, organized pile of towels.  The corners aren’t matched.  The wrinkles aren’t smoothed.  The pile is in danger of collapsing.  It is by no means perfect.  But the towels are folded.  And they were folded without complaint.  That’s something to be proud of. 

Lord, help me look past the wrinkles to see achievement, to withhold judgment when I (as always) don’t see the full picture, and to extend grace instead of expecting perfection.

Thank you that you do see the full picture and you still extend grace to me!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I came across your blog by accident and wanted to let you know that it helped me. It reminded me of something vital: perfection is not necessary but appreciation is, especially when it comes to your children. I'm a mom of 3 boys, 10, 8 and 3. I've unfortunately made the mistake, many times, of not showing enough appreciation for the things they do or how they do those things. I'm seeing my older two do the same thing to each other ;-( My prayer for myself this morning after reading this was that I first voice my appreciation and filter any other needed response by prayer before speaking it out to them.