Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Grief

Today I am amazed at the God who spoke the world into existence. He made something, everything, out of nothing...by saying a word. The tulips standing on my dining room table are the result of God's word (and Luke's thoughtfulness...at least the fact that they are on my dining room table). The baby boy sleeping in his crib with fingers and toes, working body parts, and an independent spirit is also the result of God's creativity. This is a God who can do anything.

Today as I grieve with friends over their loss, I'm praying that the God who can do anything will do the impossible. And when I ask him why he hasn't already done it, I expect an answer like he gave Isaiah and Job.

Isaiah 55:8-11
"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the LORD. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.'"

To me these words mean not only that God knows better than I do, but also that he will keep his promise and accomplish his purpose. And that purpose is good--not just good like awful tasting medicine, but good like the double chocolate cake sitting in my refrigerator.

Ephesians 3:14-21 seems perfect for this time and situation. At a time of emptiness, I pray that my friends would be filled with the fullness of Christ--his love, his strength, his sympathy, his patience, his hope.

No comments: