Monday, February 22, 2010

Dear Children's Book Authors

I love your work. You've saved my sanity on numerous road trips, sick days, and doctor's visits. Your illustrators' work has shown me how large my son's comprehension and vocabulary actually is.


But I have one small quibble with you. The word "again" does not rhyme with train, brain, drain, pain, lane, deign, rain, fain, main, crane, plane, bane, mane, pane, sane, wane, wayne, gain, slain, or any other similar sounding words. I know "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" does it, but are you really famous enough to be in the same league as as a song that succeeds in making spiders friendly? If you are intentionally breaking your rhyme scheme to emphasize a point, as well-known poets are known to do, then I suggest you actually make a point.


If my son grows up saying "a-gane" instead of "a-gen," I blame you.

1 comment:

ks said...

my least favorite is "four furry purry kittens look alike because, each furry purry kitten has four white paws." I guess if I'm going have perfect phonics it works, but... but it bothers me.