Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jail Bird

I'm currently listening to the springy-door stopper in Caleb's room being repeatedly "sprung." It's supposed to be nap time. Caleb's tired. He almost fell asleep in the car earlier. He was rubbing his eyes when we were reading books.

But he's in his new room, with the new bed. The new bed doesn't have bars. So my energetic little toddler is enjoying his newfound freedom--springing springs, clinking drawer pulls on the dresser (until I removed the dresser from the room), playing with his laundry basket (until I removed the basket from the room), playing with the pillows (until I removed them from the room), and doing something that sounds like an Irish jig. Poor kid will soon be sleeping on the floor because he's been playing with the bed. Just kidding.

He used to fall asleep playing with his belly button. Maybe now that everything else is gone, he'll have to start playing with his belly button and subsequently go to sleep.

Nope. The spring has been sprung.

Days like these are good reminders that my hope isn't in nap time, but in God, who sustains me even when nap time doesn't happen. When God said that I shouldn't have any gods before Him, he meant sleep, too.

Knowing that God is able and will sustain me even if Caleb never naps again, I'd still like to help Caleb get the nap that he needs. Any suggestions for keeping an energetic toddler in his bed long enough for the antsy-ness to wear off and the sleep to kick in? By the way, nights are going well in the new bed, but we're 1 for 3 on naps in the new bed.

2 comments:

ks said...

I started having Arlene nap on my bed at nap time to keep her apart from Jayna. I've told her to stay put and read quietly with her head on the pillow. If she got her head off the pillow or her feet off the bed, she got spanked. It only took a few times before she learned. Good luck. Everyone does it. :)

KH said...

Ummm....duct tape?