Monday, July 26, 2010

ABCs

Caleb may not be able to tell me a story or sing a complete song like some other toddlers I know, but he knows the English alphabet, its accompanying sounds, and can identify the letters on a page or keyboard.

You don’t have to tell me he’s a genius.  I already think so. 

But I’m his mom.

We’ve used two main resources to help Caleb learn his alphabet as he’s shown interest.  We started with Starfall.com a few months ago.  When I was pregnant with Sophia, I mostly used it as a way to catch my breath for 20 minutes in between trips to the park and games of Ring Around the Rosy, but Caleb loved it.  This is what helped Caleb start to recognize and identify different letters.

Then a couple weeks ago we borrowed LeapFrog’s Letter Factory DVD from the library.  We had the DVD for one week, and in that time Caleb learned almost all the sounds in the alphabet.  “i” is still a difficult one for some reason.  It’s an excellent DVD that I’d recommend if you’re in the market for phonics resources.  Typically Caleb isn’t all that interested in watching TV (It requires holding still for too long.), but this DVD kept his attention (and wasn’t too annoying for the adults in the room either).

Any volunteers to teach him Chinese next? 

No comments: