Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Gift Bag

201011 November 063

If I were an interior decorator, I’d have used something other than a gift bag that someone else gave to us (and my table would be clean).  If I were more prepared, I’d have labeled it with 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.  As it is, I was happy that we were able to celebrate Thanksgiving with more than turkey and pie.  This year, I pulled a gift bag out of our stash at the beginning of November, prepared a stack of colorful cards, and began writing down what we were thankful for each day.

On Thanksgiving we read the cards while enjoying pumpkin pancakes.  We ended up with things like:

  • jumping on Daddy (one of Caleb’s favorite ways to play with Daddy)
  • bananas, sushi, bean sprouts, and taste buds to enjoy these things
  • that Deborah makes it possible for me to sleep in
  • Luke
  • sunny November days and discovering new parks
  • good, silly books to read (Skippyjon Jones)
  • communion
  • somersaults
  • quiet evenings at home
  • that the sink, a few spice jars, and a measuring cup is so entertaining for Caleb.
  • Dad-his hope in God, his sacrificial love
  • generous friends
  • naptime
  • playing at Joey’s house
  • sharing and enjoying a beautiful view of the moon with Caleb
  • God’s perfect timing

What a reminder of all the (big and little) ways God gives us way more than we deserve each day.

No comments: