Saturday, April 12, 2008

Overwhelmed

with thankfulness.

As I was waiting to drift off to sleep tonight, I was trying to picture what a heart overflowing with thankfulness looked like. Maybe this is one picture: blogging when you should be sleeping because you keep thinking of things you're thankful for and your mind can't stop thinking, preventing you from falling asleep.

I'm so thankful for the God who has placed so many people in my life--people who tangibly, practically, humorously, quietly, obnoxiously, graciously, and unknowingly meet my needs. I know, it's a selfish thing to be thankful for--people serving ME.

Today was the baby shower. Today I was able to see my various worlds collide (my co-workers, my Bible study buddies, my husband's work friends, my college friends, my church friends). Each person who came today has had an impact on my life--from the girl I met just a month or two ago who is an awesome example of welcoming people even when she's the newcomer to my maid of honor who honors and loves my grandmother by engaging her in conversation.

I can't wait to start writing thank you notes. I know most people dread that task, but the only reason I have to dread writing them is that I know I won't be able to fully express my thankfulness--not just for the really cute fireman rubber ducky or the really practical diapers, but for their impact on my life, encouraging me and spurring me on towards Christ as they serve him (either knowingly or unknowingly).

God, thank you for the life you give, not only the one growing in me, but the life you give those people in my life who support, encourage, and laugh with me. May you be glorified through the life you give and sustain.

No comments: