Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gifts

Recently one of my betrothed (what a strange word) friends asked me to review her wedding registry for her. Prompted by her practical, service-oriented heart, she and her fiance decided to register online at alternativegiftregistry.org instead of at the usual home and department stores. After glancing through the site, I realized it wasn't just an online registry that opened up the wonders of online shopping to wedding guests, it was an opportunity to ask for non-traditional gifts like charity donations, contributions to investment plans, and lawn mowing. Glancing through several baby registries gave me the idea of listing all the ways that friends and family have gifted us since Caleb was born. Before he was born, I really didn't know what to tell people when they asked how they could help after he was born. Here are some ways that people have helped:
  • Bringing meals. I think yesterday was the first time I cooked a full meal in three weeks. Do you know how difficult it can be to simply stir something and hold a crying baby at the same time?
  • Being willing to give us time as a family. One of the things I've cherished (here's another outdated word) over the past few weeks is working together with Luke to "figure out" what we were supposed to be doing with Caleb. I think I would have missed out on that had we been receiving advice and help from all angles.
  • Generous compliments. Even though our baby may not be the cutest baby in the world, I think so (and you were willing to agree with me). Even though I may not be back in my pre-pregnancy clothes, you still said, "You don't even look like you were pregnant." Is this a time when undue flattery is ok?
  • Phone calls and an adult to talk to. While it's true that I talk to Caleb throughout the day, he can't say much of anything that's intelligible at this point. I have figured out the "I-want-to-eat-NOW" cry, the "I'm-practicing- for-choir" cry, and the "I'm-mad-at-you;-you-think-you-can-fool-me-with-a-pacifier" cry, but a two-way conversation is still wonderful.
  • Understanding. When I do answer the phone and I can barely hear a word you're saying because Caleb is practicing one of his many cries in my other ear, you understood.
  • Showing excitement. We're really excited about having Caleb in our lives, and I love it when other people share that excitement. Some have shown their excitement through blog comments, cards, or emails; others by going out of their way to look and exclaim at Caleb or giving more gifts. However you've shown your excitement, I've appreciated it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put, D! (Not that I'm surprised :))