Tuesday, April 14, 2009

House Project

Several summers ago I took down wallpaper in our master bedroom. I remember how tedious it was to get all the glue off the walls. Now I'm hoping I was thorough with that tedious job because I've discovered the effect of not getting all the glue off.



The effect? Peeling paint. Evidently the previous owners of our home took down wallpaper in the kitchen and dining room. For awhile I couldn't figure out what was causing the paint to crack and peel, but then I found the telltale mark of a paper tiger and some lovely striped and floral wallpaper above and behind some cabinets. When we moved in several years ago, this wasn't noticeable. Now it is.

And now that Caleb is capable of eating the peeling paint, I decided it was time to take care of it. For several weeks, I simply chipped away at the loosening paint. Each day I'd go back to it thinking, "Maybe I'll start priming today." Then I'd look at the wall and find some more paint to chip away. After priming with a primer that looked suspiciously like glue, I've started repainting--the same color. It seems wrong to repaint a room the same color it was before, but I don't want to replace the window cornices, and I like how the color coordinates with our living room.

So anyway, if you're stripping wallpaper anytime soon, my advice is to be patient. Otherwise you'll be doing it again in a few years.

No comments: