Monday, April 27, 2009

Pants!

I've been having trouble finding pants that fit Caleb. Either they are too short or they are too wide. Finally I decided to save myself some time, avoid wrestling matches resulting from trying clothes on a squirmy little boy, and escape the headache of returning clothes. (Don't get me started on the Wal-Mart Customer Service Associate who gave me a lecture about how all Wal-Mart employees multi-task.)

I read several online tutorials since I didn't feel like waiting for patterns to go on sale at the fabric store. Since the process and the pattern seemed simple enough, I decided to try it out. I used a pair of pants that fit Caleb really well (except that he's getting to tall for them). I traced the shaped onto newspaper, added an inch or two to the length, added room for seam allowance, purchased some fabric and elastic, and started sewing.

The first pair of shorts I tried would have been great, if Caleb still fit into 3 month clothes.

Being my stubborn self, I tagged that pair of shorts with a "3 month" label and tried again. That pair actually fit Caleb, so I went back to the fabric store, purchased more fabric while it was on sale, and started sewing away.

Here's the result:

And as long as my Fashion and Textiles Major mom or my Family Consumer Science Teacher mom-in-law don't look too closely, we'll be ok and avoid pesky customer service associates. Oh, and Caleb will have summer clothes that stay on.

Due credit
I found the most helpful online tutorial to be the Simple Baby Pants at Make-Baby-Stuff.com. I also perused the following sites and picked up a tip or helpful picture or something: Craftsanity.com; Dishtowel Pants; Rookiemoms.com; Bandana Pants. I also picked my mom's brain when she came to visit one day. We experimented with several stitches on my sewing machine and figured out which was best for sewing on knit. Thanks, Mom!

3 comments:

ks said...

I'm impressed. Really, I am. I am too afraid of sewing my finger to touch a sewing machine. But I think we've had that discussion already.

Deborah said...

It happens to the best of them. I remember my mom sewing through her finger once. It's amazing what we let our hobbies do to us.

nancy said...

Deborah, You. Are. Amazing!!!