Thursday, May 6, 2010

Baby Product: Carrier

I suppose I'm starting a series, since this is my second post on this topic (if I actually get this posted). We'll see how long the series lasts. ;)

I think my second favorite baby product (not counting disposable diapers and wipes) is our baby carrier. We have this one. Since this is the only one I've used, I can't comment on whether it's better or worse than any other brand or style.

Using this carrier has allowed me to...
  • walk to a nearby playground with Caleb and Sophia (and hold Caleb's hand while we're on the busy street).
  • spot Caleb as he climbs ladders and rock walls at the playground without leaving Sophia unattended in a stroller.
  • go for a walk with a friend without stopping to pick up sticks, rocks, and dandelions along the way. (This included 2 strollers, 2 adults, 2 babies, 1 toddler, and 1 enthusiastic dog.)
  • use two hands and hold a baby at the same time.
  • go on "off road" hikes. One of our favorite hikes is through Palisades State Park.
  • (most importantly) accumulate points for the Health and Wellness Physical Activity Challenge for our health insurance.

I like it so much, we're thinking of getting a bigger-kid backpack for Caleb instead of a double stroller. For those of you who are ahead of me in this parenting equipment business, any opinions? When/how do you use your double stroller? Do you think it was worth the expense?

2 comments:

ks said...

we have a big kid backpack but I didn't use it much. I like the double stroller, because even though Arlene can walk she always threw a fit because she wanted to ride too. OUrs is side-by-side and it gets stuck in doorways sometimes, but otherwise I like it.

Karen said...

I use our double stroller if I want to walk for exercise, or in a mall-type setting. I like it for those things. Don't use it much, but it's nice when we do need it. I don't get stuck in doorways (ours isn't a side-by-side), but it is kinda long. And, ours was given to us, so I can't comment on the price. :) Also, we don't have the big kid back packs, so don't know how it compares.