Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What is the What

Very rarely does a book inspire me to action.  In this case What is the What by Dave Eggers did just that. 

Reading What is the What made me realize how naïve I am and how blessed I am. Imagine living in a country that has known nine years of peace over the course of fifty years.  Imagine eating one meal a day for years on end.  Imagine losing your parents, family, and home when you’re six years old and not having anyone to turn to.  Imagine calling a refugee tent city home.  Imagine moving to the United States not knowing how to use a refrigerator or freezer. 

After reading this autobiography/novel of one person’s journey through the civil war in Sudan and his life in a refugee camp, I read a series of news articles to see what has happened in the region since the book was published and to learn the outcome of Southern Sudan’s recent vote for independence.  I read some of the country’s history from Wikipedia and browsed the main character’s foundation website.  Proceeds from the book are donated to this foundation.  They’ve built a secondary school among other endeavors.  I also came across this timely series of blog posts, encouraging the support of refugee families coming into Des Moines through this agency.  I also learned more about Christar, a mission agency working with refugees among other things. 

What is the What does an excellent job telling a difficult story, making the unimaginable real, and a clarifying a complex political situation. I’d recommend spending the time to read it. 

No comments: