Friday, April 22, 2011

Resurrection Eggs, Week 2

Last week I showed you a nice neat picture of our resurrection eggs.  They only look like that when the kids are sleeping.  Usually this is what I find at the kitchen table.

201104 April 568

I’ve had to restrict them to the kitchen table so we don’t end up with swords and nails all over the house. I’ve also had to rewrite the numbers on several of them because the numbers have already worn off. 

I love these tangible reminders of the entire Easter story.  And I love watching Caleb play with them throughout the day.  I don’t know everything he’s thinking, and in this picture he looks entirely too happy to be holding a cross and a nail.  Like I said before, I’m trusting that his current basic understanding will pay dividends in his head and in his heart in the future. 

201104 April 560

We’re on Day 12 right now, but I thought I’d get this post up before the weekend hit. 

Day 8: The Trial before the Sanhedrin  (main idea: Jesus is the Son of God)
Symbol: Picture of Daddy and Caleb, Stick figure drawing of God the Father and Jesus the Son

Day 9: Roman trial (main idea: Jesus is King)
Symbol: Purple robe and ‘signet’ ring

Day 10: Soldiers mock Jesus
Symbol: Thorns

Day 11: Jesus dies on the cross.
Symbol: Cross and nail
Activity: Build a cross (Look carefully and you’ll see the “sign” at the top of the cross that says “king” and the crown of thorns as well. A simple cross wasn’t good enough for Caleb.)

201104 April 601

Hammer nails on a block of wood.

201104 April 610

Day 12: Jesus is buried in a tomb.
Symbol: White strip of cloth
Activity: Take a field trip to a cemetery.  (I’m afraid Caleb is under the mistaken impression that the people are buried under the decorative boulders instead of under the grave markers….) We are also making a play dough tomb.201104 April 628

Day 13: The tomb is sealed.
Symbol: Rock
Activity: Act it out using the play dough tomb.

Day 14: Jesus is alive!
Symbol: Empty egg
Activity: I’m thinking of making resurrection rolls for breakfast. 

Scripture: Matthew 26-28, Mark 14-16, Luke 22-24, John 18-29

No comments: