Friday, March 22, 2013

Book Blog and Book Suggestion

Several times in the past few weeks, I’ve thought of recommending a picture book, but then I realized I should just share the blog where I heard about it.  I don’t even remember how I came across the blog, but my kids certainly benefit when I check her site and reserve books at the library.  So often, I’m overwhelmed by the sheer number of books in the children’s section, many of them not all that great, some too long for my kids, some too easy.  Anyway, if you’re looking for some great book suggestions for toddlers through elementary ages, check out Orange Marmelade. It’s full of book reviews, and most of the books we’ve checked out as a result of her recommendation, we’ve loved!

On another note, how do you keep track of the books you love?  We love to re-read good picture books, but so often I forget which ones we’ve loved.  I’m considering using a site like Goodreads, but it seems like an extra step that I don’t have time for right now.  Any other suggestions? 

And now, for the book suggestion I promised.  I love when a picture book engages everyone reading it, including parents.  The Spider and the Fly is one that gives the kids and parents plenty to look at and think about as they read.  The text is based on an old poem by Mary Howitt.  While you can easily find the text itself online, you’d be missing out on the excellent illustrations done by Tony DeTerrlizzi.  The illustrations begin telling the story even before the title page, and the level of detail gives more to discover on each reading. Young readers will think it’s a story about a spider catching a fly; more mature readers will easily recognize the moral lesson.

This is also one of those books that makes me want to teach in the classroom again.  If I ever do end up in the classroom again, pictures books may become part of my regular curriculum.  :)

No comments: