Monday, July 28, 2008

Weekend


Friday: First date without Caleb. The babysitters survived!! Our babysitter's ability to play piano seemed to make the evening easier for them. :-) And I enjoyed the date without worrying! Thanks!

Saturday: Picnic and hiking at Pinicon Ridge. Beautiful day to be outside.

Sunday: Baby dedication at our church. Luke's parents and brother and my mom and grandma were able to come for it. I know a lot of different churches have different traditions regarding babies, but I do enjoy the perspective our church takes. Since Caleb can't choose much of anything for himself right now, the focus of the dedication is not on him, but on his parents and his church family. We (Luke and I) have committed to create an atmosphere in which Caleb can come to know God. I feel the weight of that task because of its immensity and because it's what I want for Caleb more than anything else. But part of the weight is lifted knowing that we have a supportive family and church family who will help us along the way (not to mention a gracious Savior who will supply all we need in Christ). This is why baby dedications are part of the church service...because the church partners with us in this task.

Luke and I felt completely and utterly blessed this weekend. I know "blessed" is an old-fashioned word that isn't used much outside of church anymore, but it describes our feelings and leaves me wondering why God has been so good to us. It's obviously not anything we've earned. Why do I have all I want when others don't? A question I cannot answer, so I go on trying to live in a state of thankfulness and not to take it all for granted.

No comments: