Friday, April 9, 2010

Nesting: Sewing Projects

A more recent hobby of mine has been sewing. It's something I can do at home when Caleb is sleeping that also challenges me to learn something new. My mom taught me to sew when I was a kid, meaning I knew how to sew when she was with me. And evidently I remember enough of what my mom taught me that there aren't too many disasters.
Having kids means I have more motivation to try my hand at different sewing projects. But now that I've collected pictures of all these projects, I realize I went a bit overboard with the sewing this winter. Most of the projects either taught me something new or were fairly simple. I don't regret the time I spent, but I am looking forward to a bit of a break. Pictures (of varying quality) follow.
Dinosaur curtains for a certain little boy. When that little boy is around, the curtains come with sound effects.
A crib skirt and matching curtain valance that is a bit more calming than those I made when prego with Caleb.


Also a matching crib rail cover just in case she turns out to woodchuck tendencies like her older brother.

Shorts for Caleb. As I had him try these on, he was so confused. He kept trying to pull the knees down to his ankles as if to say, "Mommy, these pants are way too short!"

A baby outfit. I did not make the sweater. It's actually a gift from my mom who used it for another little baby almost 30 years ago. I gave it new ribbon to spruce it up and added some pants to match.

Burp cloths. Because smelly spit-up "requires" something soft and pretty...
Flannel receiving blanket with crocheted edge. I loved being able to stash Caleb's flannel blanket in the diaper bag and use it for all sorts of things. It's also great for swaddling little babies.

9 month size baby sweater. I started this project because I wanted to knit a baby blanket but I couldn't decide which pattern to use. This is the result.

Baby blanket and matching doll blanket. In lieu of knitting a baby blanket this time round, I tried my hand at quilting. I think that will be the last time....

Baby gifts for others

Nursing cover.

2 comments:

Nancy H. said...

Beautiful work, Deborah! I can attest firsthand to the wonderful-ness (please don't dock my points, Mrs. English Teacher!) of the swaddling blanket and spit up cloths, as I was the lucky recipient of another set from Mrs. Ryon :) (BTW, Deborah, the spit up rags now serve as blankets for Elena's prize animal, "Monkey", so even though we are past the spit-up season, they're still a fixture at our house!) Thank you again!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! Deborah, you are so talented. :)

Hugs
Karen