Friday, January 7, 2011

Letter A

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, I planned several activities to help Caleb understand Christmas and worship Christ through the season.  As I did so, I realized that he was really enjoying having some planned activities in his day, so I thought I’d continue challenging him with various activities in the new year. 

To help me brainstorm, I’ve adopted a letter of the alphabet for the week.  Most of these activities are planned and created on the spot, without a lot of prep work on my part. 

This week we did a lot with the letter “A.”  I thought I’d record what we did here on the blog, so I can look back for ideas as we make our way through the alphabet, or even in a few years when Sophia’s ready for this kind of thing.   

Attribute of God: Awesome. (Additional ideas: “All” as in all-knowing, all-powerful, almighty)

Bible Story: Abraham
The story has never resonated with Caleb.  He doesn’t remember Abraham like he remembers Noah or Jonah, so I focused mostly on God’s promise to Abraham.  (Genesis 15:5-6 and Genesis 12:2-3) Caleb colored a picture of Abraham, added sticker stars, counted the stars, and identified the letters in Abraham’s name.  

Music: The Ants Go Marching, Awesome God
Caleb has been requesting “Awesome God” at breakfast, in the car, at the piano, and on YouTube.  Pretty fun.

Craft/Art: Christmas thank you cards
Hopefully I won’t spoil the surprise by saying Caleb was very excited about using glue and ink.

Snack: Ants on a Log
No recipe needed, unless of course you’ve never eaten ants before.

Video: Sesame Street “A’s Anatomy”

Common vocabulary: ant, alligator, afraid, apple

People we know: Uncle Anthony, Aria, Grandma
Grandma’s name starts with “A,” but Caleb got a bit confused because Grandma starts with “G.” 

1 comment:

ks said...

plan curriculum much? ;) I wish I were so innovative and thoughtful. We're pretty happy to have scrap paper and coloring books around here.