Monday, January 31, 2011

Why

Reasons I’m doing alphabet activities with Caleb:

  • Boredom is a choice, and I’m not choosing it.
  • Boredom spells trouble.
  • It’s winter, and we’re stuck inside. When we do the crab walk, the stir crazies stay away longer. 
  • It helps me think of fun things to do with Caleb.
  • Caleb is enjoying it.
  • It’s an opportunity to fill up our thoughts and time with good and true things instead of complaints or simple frivolity (although some of our alphabet activities are definitely frivolous). 
  • Preschoolers understand more than I think they understand.  
  • Translating attributes of God and Bible stories into a form that a preschooler can understand and retain challenges what I know and believe. 

I’m not doing alphabet activities because…

  • I want Caleb to be the geekiest preschooler around.
  • Caleb needs to learn how to read right now. He is the brightest, smartest kid around, you know.
  • If we sing the B-I-B-L-E, Caleb and I will be more likely to get into heaven.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I like hearing the reasons why you do the things you do with your kiddos... isn't that the most important part of parenting, having thought-out, good 'whys'?... for that matter, isn't that the most important part of life... knowing and living based on a purpose, an answer to the question 'why'?

Karen said...

Are you sure about the B-I-B-L-E song and Heaven? (big grin!).

On a serious note: It sounds like you have good reasons to me (not that you needed my approval!).