Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Beautiful People...in an Ugly World

I have many beautiful students in my classes. They're talented, courageous, unique, quirky, funny, sensitive, intelligent, creative, and created by God. On too many days it's too easy to forget all these facts. Many days my students are selfish, mean, spiteful...you get the drift. Today a student reminded me (not in words) that God created each of these individuals for a purpose and that He desires to give them so many good things. This student is beautiful, smart, and funny--besides being an excellent creative writer, but life has been tough on her. As she said today, "Life sucks." For some reason, this girl has worked her way into my typically uncompassionate heart, so my heart aches for her. And I hope that she will find hope in the only person who can give true, lasting hope. I pray that she is able to know Christ--as the only person who can save her from this wretched (as Paul would say, in Greek I suppose) or "sucky" (as she would say) world. I pray she would know that God has created her beautifully and for a purpose--to glorify him. I pray she finds joy in that. Lord, I pray for myself that I'd have the boldness and gentleness to share truth and hope with this student when/if you give me the opportunity.

As I was driving home today, I questioned how this girl had managed to affect my heart when usually it's so calloused. Is it because she's somewhat like me? Is it because even though life's hard, she's respectful in class and does her work? Am I commanded just to love people who are nice to me? Then I thought of all the students I struggle to love of Christ loves them...ouch. Lord, help me love as you love--selflessly and sacrificially. Show me these students through the eyes of your loving Son who gave his life for them--yes, even for that one student who.....

No comments: