Monday, March 10, 2008

New Endings

Did you know that at the end of Romeo and Juliet Lord Capulet decides to buy weapons of mass destruction and blow up the world? According to one of my English 9 students, he does. I've heard of dramatic license, but weapons of mass destruction? What am I teaching these kids??

On a more positive note, I was pleased to see some of the themes that my students came up with on their own. I posed the questions, "What can teenagers at Prairie learn from Romeo and Juliet?" They came up with themes concerning love vs. infatuation, decision making, resolving conflicts, lying, thinking before acting, and selfishness. Hopefully they continue and their essay papers show the same thoughtfulness. Maybe I'll let you know next week...if I'm not too cross-eyed from reading papers.

No comments: