Monday, March 31, 2008

Gotta Love (the lack of) Parallel Structure

Yet another reason why we still teach "English" to American high school students...

While I was grading creative book projects last week, I came across an online profile and blog that a student had written from the perspective of one of the main characters in the book he had read. Under the "interests" category for this character, he listed "riding horses, motorcycles, and girls." If the student actually had had an idea of what he had written, I wouldn't find it funny at all. But since he is clueless to what he actually wrote, I think it's quite humorous. I guess English teachers need to find humor somewhere....

On another ironic note, I found a grammatical error the other day in the grammar category of one of my rubrics. Gotta love the realistic perspective that brings to grading my students' papers.

No comments: