Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Organization

Nice, neat stacks of papers. Tables of contents. Clear direction. Easy to find. Purposeful. Time spent wisely, not wasted. Is it worth taking the time to organize?

After spending several hours this morning organizing my teaching units for the rest of the school year, I hope the answer is yes. Either way, having plans and papers organized give me a good, relieved feeling. Is it the false sense of control I get when I look ahead to the next 3 months and see lessons plans for each day? There are so many things in my life that I have no control over (and soon there will be more) that I relish the opportunity to actually plan ahead and figure out some sort of structure. Don't get me wrong, the plans I made today have plenty of leeway in them because I know by now that even if I try to plan my days to the minute, plans change. I have no doubt that something will cause my plans to change. Because as much as I want to feel in charge, I'm not. (And I'm happy about that; I'm glad the world isn't run by my crazy ideas.) Still, to plan for things I can plan for, and will have to plan for at some point in time, gives me a sense of accomplishment.


yeh! for paper clips...

1 comment:

Clare said...

Hey there D-dog,
Sounds like you life is at full speed ahead. You have to post pictures of Ryon 2.0 as soon as he comes out. I love the fact that we both have blogs. Nice to know how you are doing. Later,Clare