Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Memory

Some people memorize poetry. Others memorize sports statistics. Still others can recite movie dialogues. And then there's the talented few who do all three. (Do you actually know anyone who memorizes sports statistics and poetry? And "Casey at the Bat" doesn't count.) Church kids memorize Bible verses. Before cell phones, people would memorize phone numbers. Some people have recipes memorized. What else do we memorize? Why?

If I can remember my SSN, Luke's SSN, my 13-digit library card number, user names and log-ins for at least 20 websites, most family birthdays a week after they happen, my grandma's phone number, and my identification number as a substitute teacher from 4 years ago, why can't I remember how I was going to finish this sentence?

Can you intentionally remember moments in time? Because there are definitely a few I'd like to hold on to, but I think I've already forgotten them.

So, what methods do you use to remember whatever it is that you want to remember?

No comments: