Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Christmas at the Bakers'

Since I'm the youngest on my side of the family, I've seen Christmas traditions change as my brothers married, and then as kids were added to their families. Let's just say the days of duct-taped gifts and quietly reading after the festivities are no longer. Some traditions have remained: reading the Christmas story from either Matthew, Luke, or John, singing Christmas carols, opening presents beginning with the youngest, a big dinner usually including ham loaf, hugs from Grandma, and a competitive game of Monopoly.

I'm thankful for my brothers and their families who made the long trip back to Iowa for Christmas. This year they came by train, plane, and automobile through fog, ice, and snow. I hope it was worth it for them. We certainly enjoyed seeing them.





Caleb playing with one of the many toys he received for Christmas.

Caleb with Grandpa and Grandma and all his Baker cousins.

Mom and Dad's gift to us--an example of Mom's amazing artistry and craftsmanship. (Mom and Dad, we'll think of you when we see it on our dining room wall!)

As you can see, I have fewer pictures from this celebration. It probably has to do with 16 people living in one house and the ensuing chaos, I mean, good cheer. We had a blast and were so glad Caleb could meet his cousins, aunts, and uncles!

No comments: