Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Discontent

Caleb is not content to simply enjoy each new skill he acquires. He was so happy when he could sit up on his own, but that didn't stop him from being upset that he couldn't crawl. Now that he can crawl, he wants to walk.

I've noticed a similar trend in my own life. Try something new. Find out it doesn't satisfy my soul. Try something new. Find out it doesn't satisfy my soul. Try something new. And the cycle continues until I remember to be thankful that these things don't satisfy. Yesterday I came across Psalm 90:14: "Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." I am so glad that cleaning house, volunteering, and even spending time with my family doesn't satisfy me. (Can you imagine having to clean a toilet in order to be happy? Ugh. How sad would that be?) Thankfully God doesn't just leave me discontented. God provides someone who will satisfy my soul: himself.

Lord, thank you that you've given me a desire for more than this world can give. Thank you for fulfilling those desires in Christ. Your unfailing love satisfies so completely and eternally. I pray that I wouldn't settle for anything but the joy of life in Christ as I go about my day. May you be my desire and my delight.

No comments: